SDI standing for Spatial Data Infrastructure, allow us to build a platform to store, manage, sharing spatial data and other documents, data, information… effectually and in advance way. We could integrate SDI with GIS, Aktivmap for cities, enterprise.
Browse and search for geospatial data and web services
SDI like a Geospatial Portal, where you can browse and search not only data, map, layers, images, information but also all web services come from others SDI, GIS database… In a country perspective, SDI can be Country SDI, Ministries SDI, Provinces SDI, Cities SDI, Enterprises SDI… and they could store and sharing geospatial data to each others.
Upload, manage, and share geospatial data
Whatever type of geospatial data you have, you can upload it to SDI, manage how and how long to share, how to visual!
- Reduce staff effort in finding data
- Reduced duplication of effort (building databases and applications)
- Inproved quality of data available to staff and customers.
- Facilitated collaboration within BGS.
- Allowed corporate implementation of standards and best practices.
- Provided the opprtunity to intergrate data of diverse types and to create innovative products and services.
- Enabled BGS to be more responsive to customer needs.
Spatial Data Infrastructure as an Applications Platform
An essential function of an SDI is to provide an overall framework and architecture within wich new applications can be developed and integrated. That does not necessarily mean that the SDI would itself need to encompass all those applications. Rather, the SDI could serve as a platform to support a large community (both in and outside USGS) to develop and operate a rich set of application services. In some cases, specific science questions or meet specific mission needs. Using the SDI as a community applications platform would allow users to take advantage of existing applications that perform functions that they need rather than having to develop their own applications.
Geonode is an open-source software for SDI, Geonode built and based on GeoServer, Django, OpenLayer…